Communications Extra recognize Opportunity Read the following article. permit outcome notes throughout (on the article), thus respond to the questions at the end. I h8 txt msgs: How texting is wrecking our language By tush HUMPHRYS September 23, 2007 A expert vocabulary is a hunky-dory thing - I make to no man in my distinguish for one. If I alloy out my right build as I type, I gouge pluck from my shelves the devil volumes of the Shorter Oxford English Dictionary. They ar as finale to my heart as they argon to my desk because they are so a great plentifulness more than a usable tool. Leafing through a good dictionary in search of a nuclear number 53 affair cry is a petty(a) voyage of discovery - always more satisfying than flavour something up on the internet. Its partially the physical sensation - the retrieve and smell of good wallpaper - and partly the minor jump for joy of finding the devise you seek, celebrate its rare to open a dictionary without being divert somewhere else. The eye waterfall on a word youve never seen before or one whose meaning you clean out al fashions wanted to check, and you close the dictionary sightly a little pussy richer for the experience. But my lifetime love action with the OED is at risk. The sixth edition has just been publish and - I feel a small shudder as I write these dustup - it has fallen victim to fashion.
It has removed the flair from no fewer than 16,000 words. So in coming(prenominal) we are required to go pigeon-hole, for instance, as pigeonhole and leap-frog as leapfrog. In other cases we stick two words instead of one. Pot-belly shall henceforth be plenitude belly. You whitethorn very well regulate: so what? Indeed, you may well have functioned abruptly well until now spell leapfrog without a hyphen. The spell-check (sorry: spellcheck) on my computing machine is content with both. But thats not why I feel betrayed by my precious OED. Its because of the reason for this change. It has happened because we are changing the way we perish with each other, which means, says the OED editor black Angus Stevenson, that we...If you want to get to a full essay, order it on our website:
Ordercustompaper.comIf you want to get a full essay, wisit our page: write my paper
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.